A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

City targets Five Points



  • City unveils program for Five Points.
  • Half-million dollars available.
  • First program of its kind.

Denver is dedicating $500,000 in federal funds to jump-start the revitalization of Five Points.

Today the Denver Office of Economic Development launched its first-ever Welton Design/Development Challenge, an opportunity for commercial and mixed use residential projects along the primary corridor of the Five Points business district to receive predevelopment funds for planning and design.

The challenge will award funds to up to three projects in a range of sizes, including individual business owners as well as collaborative proposals from groups of contiguous property owners or other development teams that form around the most exciting ideas.

The grants will fund a wide range of possible predevelopment expenses, including architectural renderings, engineering specifications, financial pro formas, environmental reviews and market research. The grants are designed to help support the steps generally required to prove project viability and garner commercial financing.

“Bold, transformational change occurs when intentional public investment meets smart, strategic partnerships,” Mayor Michael B. Hancock said.

“This challenge is a creative predevelopment strategy that will work to demonstrate the possibilities of the Welton Corridor to the larger development, investment and retail community,” Hancock continued. “Through this approach, we will honor this historical neighborhood while igniting some real momentum into jobs, housing, and retail for Five Points.”

Hot Spot

“With its proximity to downtown, excellent transit, and historical cache, there is no reason that this important corridor can’t be the next retail and housing hot spot,” said Paul Washington, OED executive director.

The challenge has been designed to maximize these opportunities, actively engage longtime community residents and property owners, and encourage bold ideas with the support they need to become reality, Washington said.

OED is forming a panel of judges, including planners, developers, bankers, architects and community stakeholders, to review all proposals.

In this funding approach, awarded projects will initially receive 25 percent of their estimated predevelopment costs, and earn the remaining 75 percent, following the completion of an application for construction financing.

In all, OED has dedicated $500,000 in federal Community Development Block Grant funding to the challenge and expects to fund between one to three projects for up to $175,000 each.

The application deadline for this first Welton Challenge is Oct. 28, with up to three winners to be announced by Nov. 16.

Depending on the capacity of a predevelopment grant to engage developers, architects and engineers as needed, the projects are expected to take shape within about a year.

“We know from other neighborhood initiatives that two or three outstanding projects can truly spark a chain reaction of inspired development,” Washington  said.

Projects must be along Welton Street, from 20th to 30th streets.

For information on the city’s Request For Proposal, please visit the Welton Design/Development Challenge.

Interested in buying a home in Five Points? Please visit COhomefinder.com

Have a story idea or real estate tip? Contact John Rebchook at  JRCHOOK@gmail.com. InsideRealEstateNews.com is sponsored by Universal Lending, Land Title Guarantee and 8z Real Estate. To read more articles by John Rebchook, subscribe to the Colorado Real Estate Journal.