- RedPeak bought the Burnsley Hotel last year.
- It spent $7 million renovating it.
- It’s already about a third leased.
The former Burnsley Hotel building, that once was owned by an investment group that included Ella Fitzgerald and Kirk Douglas, made its official debut last week as a luxury apartment tower.
RedPeak Properties bought the 17-story tower last year for $10 million and pumped another $7 million into it.
RedPeak renamed the 51-year-old building as the “1000 Grant The Burnsley” apartment residences. It already is 34 percent leased, with monthly rents starting at $1,530.
`“Our work at the Burnsley is indicative of the care and attention to detail RedPeak is delivering to urban neighborhoods throughout downtown Denver,” said Mike Zoellner, CEO of RedPeak .
“Since its construction in 1963, the Burnsley has been an iconic structure in Denver, and it’s been a tremendous pleasure to oversee this renovation and return the property to its deserved stature,” Zoellner continued.
“It is a premier place to live while enjoying all of the great things the city has to offer,” he added.
RedPeak purchased the Burnsley Hotel from Joy Burns, the former owner of the property for more than 40 years. Burns, and her late husband, Franklin, in 1969 purchased the hotel from an investment group that included singer Ella Fitzgerald and actor Kirk Douglas.
Ironically, the building was originally constructed as an apartment community, and shortly thereafter, the property was converted into a hotel and jazz club, where Fitzgerald and other legends performed.
RedPeak’s renovation strived to maintain the historic character and charm of the Burnsley’s original architecture and design, while bringing the half-century old building up to modern-day standards.
Some of the highlights of the renovation include:
- Converting 86 hotel rooms, which were originally designed to accommodate apartment-like living, into modern apartments.
- Adding four, two-story penthouses to the top floors of the property. The penthouses will open in the near future.
- Completely upgrading the property’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing and life safety systems to meet today’s codes and standards.
- A complete remodel of the property’s first two floors to provide amenity areas and services to future residents.
- Repair of the building’s exterior façade.
Some of the brand new amenities and facilities at 1000 Grant The Burnsley apartment residences include:
- Quartz countertops, stainless steel appliances, contemporary vinyl plank flooring and plush carpet.
- A fully equipped fitness center, Yoga and group fitness studio.
- A large outdoor pool.
- Private balconies.
- A cyber café with free Wi-Fi.
Interested in buying a home in Capitol Hill? Please visit COhomefinder.com.
Have a story idea or real estate tip? Contact John Rebchook at JRCHOOK@gmail.com. InsideRealEstateNews.com is sponsored by Universal Lending, Land Title Guarantee and 8z Real Estate. To read more articles by John Rebchook, subscribe to the Colorado Real Estate Journal.